ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT
• B.Sc., Biochemistry course was started in the academic year 1994 – 1995
• M.Sc., Biochemistry course was started in the academic year 1999 – 2000
• M.Phil., Biochemistry course was started in the academic year 2003 – 2004
UGC CARRIER ORIENTED COURSES
• Bioinformatics : Started in the Academic Year 2005 – 2006
• Biomedical Instrumentation : Started in the Academic Year 2006 – 2007
DEPARTMENT CERTIFICATE COURSE
• Medical Laboratory Technology : Started in the Academic Year 2016 – 2017
• To promote scientific, technological and health research and to elevate the life of human beings.
• To develop scientific potentials and explore the world of science.
• To motivate the students to take dimensions in the pursuit of research.
• To achieve socio-economic empowerment through promoting self-motivation and providing technological supportive services.
• To promote health awareness among the rural mass.
• The course aims to develop the skills required for scientific work like practical research skills, analytical and presentation skill, advanced scientific methods.
OUR DEPARTMENT HAS PRODUCED 07 GOLD MEDALISTS AND 43 RANK HOLDERS.
STUDENTS ACHIEVEMENTS IN CO – CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
• Our student M.Aysha of II M.Sc Biochemistry bagged second prize in Essay contest conducted by Co-op tex society, Erode.
• Our student K.Akshaya Sri of I B.Sc Biochemistry bagged Fourth prize in Drawing contest conducted by Kongu Arts & Science college , Erode.
The Department has produced 48 M.Phil., scholars so far.
The priority areas of research are Enzymology, plant bio-technology and clinical toxicology, the students are made to undergo their projects in various fields.
Our students were placed in different places. Nearly 474 students are placed well in and around the State. Many students have been placed through competitive exam like TNPSC.
• A blood grouping campaign at Government higher secondary school,
• Aval poondurai , Erode on 15.07.2017.
• A seminar on overview of Biochemistry on 26.06.2017 . S.Natarajan, Assisted professor of Biochemistry, Kongu arts and science college, erode acted as resourse person.
• A seminar on Health awareness on 14.02.2017. Mrs.R.K.Jayanthi, SMART KIDS pregnancy caring center, Erode as resource person.
• An awarness programme on “Leprosy” on 19.08.2016 by Dr N.Baskaran,District Health Education, Erode.
• A seminar on “Clinical Research and its Scope” on 15.07.2016 with Mrs Abirami and Mr P.Gowrisankar, Spinos Life Science & Research Pvt Ltd as resource persons.
• A seminar on “Herbal medicines and Human Health” on 11.07.2016. Dr S.P.Ram Subramaniam,Rohini Holistic Health Centre,RIAM Trust,Chennai acted as resourse person.
• A blood Grouping Campaign on 08.07.2016.
• On 27.02.2016, a seminar on Siddha Medicines and its importance was conducted withSathiyanandhini, Siddha Doctor, Arachalur Primary Health Center as resource person.
• A programme “Hai Girls! Health Awareness in Girls” was organized on 27.02.2016 with Kavitha Ganapathi, Gynaecologist, Solai Hospital, Erode as chief guest.
• A seminar on Overview of Diabetes Mellitus was organized on 01.03.2016. Dr.E.Thangavel Monica Diabetic Care, Erode had acted as resource person.
• A blood Grouping Campaign on 21.07.2015.
• A seminar on Breast Feeding Awareness has conducted on 01.08.2015. I.Selvan, MBBS.,DCH., Consultant Paediatrician, Lotus Hospital, Erode acted as resource person.
• A science exhibition was organized on 28.02.2012 with C.Kumarasamy, Secretary & Correspondent as chief guest.
• Our department along with Chemistry and Physics departments organized an International seminar on the topic Emerging Trends in Life Science on 18.08.2011.
• Our department has Health Centre which actively performs various extension activities like blood grouping camp, Eye Camps, Tree Plantation, Blood Donation Camp, Sugar test, Blood Pressure test, Hemoglobin Test, BMI etc.
• To Broaden the horizon of student’s knowledge,the Department of Bio Chemistry Conducts COOKERY CLUBS which motivates the students to develop the art of cookery.
• The Department of Bio Chemistry has extended its activities for the welfare of the community like Plantation of sapling and Blood grouping Camp in Govt.Hr.Sec.School, Poondurai.
To have a wider horizon, the department of Bio-chemistry conducts Bridge course to introduce Basics of computer to non computer students, especially to the First year students. The course was conducted in the month of July every year. The faculty of Computer Science department handled the course and 125 students were benefitted for the past five years.
Guest Lecture (ALUMNI) on the topic Science in Real Life and Business by Mrs.J. Bhuvaneswari, Managing Director, Moorthy Coffee Works, Tirupur on 25.7.2018
Seminar on Career Opportunities in Biochemical Sciences – An Overview by DR.M.Kamaraj, Associate Professor, Addis Ababa Science and Technology University, Ethiopia, on 02.08.2018
The students of III B.Sc., and I M.Sc., Biochemistry and the Faculties DR.K.Chandra Prabha and DR.P.A.Vasundra Devi visited the Book Fair held at VOC Park, Erode on 10.08.2018