ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT
• B.Sc., Chemistry course was started in the academic year 2011-2012
• M.Sc., Chemistry course was started in the academic year 2014-2015
Department certificate course
• Food Preservation : Started in the Academic Year 2016 – 2017
Our vision is to provide a platform to attain scientific knowledge among the rural women.
• To develop versatile analytical and technical skills to work effectively in the various field of chemistry.
• To provoke the intellectual ability of the growing chemists.
• To emphasize personal discipline and moral values.
The students will acquire a comprehensive knowledge of sufficient breadth and depth on the fundamentals of chemistry.
Our Department has produced 01 Gold medalists and 17 Rank holders.
Our students were placed in different places. Nearly 32 students are placed well in and around the State.
• Our department along with Bio-chemistry and Physics departments organized an International seminar on the topic Emerging Trends in Life Science on 18.08.2011.
• Chemistry department association Chemtech’12 organized a guest lecture programme on 29.07.2011. Dr. V.Sivakumar, Asst Prof of Chemistry, Sri Vasavi College, Erode presented a lecture on the topic Basics of chemistry.
• Dr. V. Sivakumar, Asst. Prof of chemistry, Sri Vasavi college, Erode shared his ideas about “Basics of Thermodynamics” on 26.08.2012.
• Our department association Chemtech’13 organized a guest lecture on 31.08.2013. Dr. P. Sivakumar, Asst Prof of Chemistry, Arringyar Anna Govt Arts College, Namakkal presented his views about Technology of Polymer processing.
• Dr. N. Prabhu, Research associate IIT, Delhi has delivered a guest lecture on 12.02.2014. Topic: Modern Trends in Organic Chemistry.
• “Basics of Electrochemistry” an invited lecture on 15.09.2017 by Dr. V. Sivakumar, Asst. Prof of chemistry, Sri Vasavi college, Erode.
• Chemtech’15 organized a guest lecture programme on 16.09.2015. Dr. K. Ponnusamy, Asst Prof, Govt Arts College, Coimbatore presented a lecture on Green Chemistry.
• Chemtech’17 organized a guest lecture on 09.01.2017. Dr. V.Viswanathan, Asst Prof of Nanotechnology, Bharathiar University delivered a lecture on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
• Our department organized a guest lecture on the topic “RULE YOUR MIND OR IT WILL RULE YOU” DR.P.DHANASEKARAN, Associate Prof and Head (Rtd), Department of Botany, Sri Vasavi College, Erode was invited as a resource person on 31.07.2017. His speech focuses on the importance of self control and to develop self discipline. About 125 students were benefitted.
• Training was given by tailoring & embroidery club was conducted on alternative Saturdays, to create self employment students were highly benefitted by developing skills in tailoring & embroidery works. Tailoring experts from various organizations conduct classes for tailoring students. About 170 students were benefitted by this tailoring club.
• Department association Chemtech’13 organized a Poster presentation on 14.09.2013.
Topics: Green House Effect, Acid Rain, Ozone layer depletion.
• Intra Department Quiz Competition was conducted on 14.09.13.
• Our Department students and faculty members visited Padiyur Sarvodhaya Silk Manufacturing unit, Padiyur, Kangeyam on 28.08.14.
• Industrial visit to R&D Lab : Union Planters Association of South India, Tea processing unit : Hi-Fields Tea Estate, Coonoor on 09.01.2015 and 10.01.2015.
• Visit to CECRI (Central Electrochemical Research Institute) Karaikudi on 25.09.15 and 26.09.15.
• Dengue Awareness Programme was conducted on 12.08.2016 by our department.
• Our Department students and faculty members visited Padiyur Sarvodhaya Silk Manufacturing unit, Padiyur on 08.09.16.
• Department Association Inaugural and Guest Lecture was conducted on 31.07.2017. Dr.K.P.Dhanasekaran, Asst Professor and Head(Rtd), Department of Botany, Sri Vasavi Arts and Science College, Erode gave special speech on the topic “Rule Your Mind or It Will Rule You”.
• Chemtech’17 organized a Poster Presentation on the topics: “Eco-Friendly Products”, “Adverse Effect of Cosmetics” on 28.02.2017.
• Power Point Presentation on the topics “Green Packing Materials” & “Energy Conservations” was conducted on 28.02.2017.
• Intra department Quiz competition was conducted on 28.02.2017.
TAILORING AND EMBROIDERY CLUB
Tailoring and embroidery club was constituted in the year 2016.The club is equipped with nine sewing machines and all other basic amenities. Ms.S.Pradeepa, Assistant professor of Chemistry was appointed as the co-ordinator for tailoring and embroidery club. The aim of the club is to provide an opportunity for the students to develop their self employment skills. Every year the club enrolls about forty interested students from various departments.The club will function on all working Saturdays. It offers training on both stiching and embroidery works. Trainers are invited periodically to teach latest trends in stiching. Special trainings are also offered on patch work and embroidery.
Bridge course will be conducted in the beginning of every year for first UG students. The main aim of their course is to overcome the barrier between school and college education. So far 164 students have been benefitted.