ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
“Language shapes the way we think and
Determines what we can think about”
YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT
• B.A.,English Literature course was started in the academic year 1997 – 1998
• M.A.,English Literature., course was started in the academic year 2001 – 2002
• M.Phil., English course was started in the academic year 2003 – 2004
UGC CARRIER ORIENTED COURSES
• COMMUNICATIVE ENGLISH Started in the Academic Year 2005 – 2006
• PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT and COMMUNICATION SKILLS Started in the Academic Year 2006 – 2007
DEPARTMENT CERTIFICATE COURSE
• SPOKEN ENGLISH Started in the Academic Year 2016 – 2017
• MASS COMMUNICATION and JOURNALISM Started in the Academic Year 2016 – 2017
To enlighten the knowledge of women and promote their aesthetic sense through literature.
• To create academic excellence.
• To enrich communicative skills.
• To inculcate awareness about culture and discipline among the students.
• To enable the students to taste the essence of Literature.
• To impart a comprehensive and wide ranging standard of listening, speaking, reading and writing skills of the students in English Language.
• To unlock the potential excellence of the students.
• To offer a platform with spawning countless job opportunities.
Our Department has produced 07 Gold medalists and 46 Rank holders.
STUDENT SEMINAR DETAILS
102 students have participated and won prizes in various competitions in intercollegiate meets.
183 students have participated & presented papers in National level & state level seminars.
Nearly 60 students have become M.Phil research scholars
The students of our department have been placed in various institutions after securing their degree in Navarasam Arts and Science college for women. Totally in 2012 – 2013, 28 students are placed both in on campus and off campus. In the academic year 2013 – 2014, 45 students are placed. In the next academic year 2014-2015, 35 students have been placed. Then in 2015-2016, 55 candidates are appointed. In the year 2016-2017, 54 students are placed.Then in the academic year 2018-2019, 46 students are placed. Finally in the year 2019-2020, 53 students are placed.
Nearly 12 seminars, conferences, guest lectures are organized by our department from 2012 to 2017.
• Our department has organised seminar on 24/8/2012. The seminar has been proceed over by K.A.Akalya M.A.,M.Phil.,Ph.D from Sri Vasavi Arts and Science college (self), Erode in the topic of “Life and Literature”. Merely 416 students have participated in that occasion.
• P.Nagaraj from Bharathiar University has been invited as a resource person for our department seminar conducted on 4/10/2013. The topic of “English Language and the Digital world” was clearly explained by him with the strength of 377 students.
• Department seminar has been conducted on 24.01.2014 with the topic of “Literature : The Mirror of Life”. Mr.K.R.Radhakrishnan M.S., M.Phil., from Vivekanandha College of Arts and Science,Thrichencode gave an inspiring speech before 422 students.
• Our department has conducted literary exhibition <KWANZAA-2014> in the topic of “The Man of Knowledge and the Power of Inspiration” on 19/2/2014. Dr. T. Manasan M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., and Mr.C.Sadhasivam M.A.,M.Phil., from Chikkaiah Naicker College have been invited as a chief guest, 400 students have participated in that occasion.
• K.M.Dharmarajan (retd.professor) has been called as a resource person for our department seminar conducted on 26/7/2014. The topic “Characters in Shakespeare’s play” was clearly dealt by him before 413 students.
• National level seminar <XENIA-2014> has been organised by our department. Dr.V.Bharathi Harisankar from University of Madras, Dr.Lillian Jasper from Women’s Christian college, Chennai, Dr.G.Vennila Bharathi Women’s Government Arts and Science college, Chennai,Dr.Maria Preethi Srinivasan, Queen Mary’s college, Chennai, Dr.Padma V Mckertish from Stella Maris college, Chennai and Dr.Amudha Pandian, Research officer, TamilNadu state council for higher education Chennai has been invited as resource person. They have given seminar on the topic of “Women and Culture: The War within and without”.
• Our Department seminar has been conducted on 9/1/2015 with the topic of “Literary Genre”. Mr.A.Athiyappan M.A.,M.Phil.,Ph.D from PGP college of Arts and Science college,Namakkal has given an inspiring speech towards 398 students.
• N.Mythili M.A.,M.Phil.,Ph.D., has been accepted to be the resource person for our department seminar on 29/7/2015. She has given an admiring speech on “Boot your Literature”.
• Department seminar has been conducted on 11/10/2017. The Chief Guest was Dr.C.Kumarasamy Secretary and Correspondent, Navarasam Arts and Science College for women. He has given speech on “Life, Language and Literature”.
• I.Selvam vice Principal, Navarasam Arts and Science College for women proceed over the seminar on 18/7/2016 in the topic “Power of Language and Literature”.
• S. Saradhambal, Sri Vasavi college Erode has given a guest lecture on “Post colonial Literature” on 11/01/2017. Merely 354 students have joined in that occasion.
• Guest lecture has been organized by our department on 17.6.2017. Mr.P.Karthi M.A.,B.Ed.,M.Phil.,PGDHRM,DATTM.,(Ph.D), Associate professor of English, Gobi Arts and Science Colege, Gobi has given an inspiring speech on “Soft skills for professionals excellence”. He has expressed about the importance of soft skills for social participation. Nearly 211 students have participated in that session.
• Mrs.P.Selvi M.A., M.Phil., B.Ed.,Ph.D., Assistant professor of English from Vellalar College for Women (Autonomous), Thindal, Erode has been given a guest lecture on “English – Ws and H” on 16.2.2018. She has presented that how the students should approach the literature and what is the role played by English in human life. Nearly 311 students and 18 faculties have benefited in that session.
EXTENSION ACTIVITIES: (ACADEMIC YEAR: 2016-17)
Following the foot prints of Mother Terasa, 15 students of II M.A English Literature visited an orphanage (Sanmarka Gurukulam) in Keeranur in order to witness the condition of orphanages. There were nineteen young children and forty old people. The students went to learn their life style; in turn they came to know how they lead a disciplined life. The young children came out with many queries to secure high marks in their SSLC and HSC examination. Our students had given them many ways of learning. Fifty bed spreads, twenty boxes of used dresses and Rs.3000 for one session food were donated for them on behalf of our department. Our service minded students motivated them in many ways. The main motto of the visit was to create awareness among the young students of our college and also outside world. This beginning will be a ‘saga’
SHAKESPEARE INSTITUTE OF ENGLISH STUDIES,CHENNAI
The English department has collaborated with Shakespeare institute for conducting many competitions for the welfare of the students. So far 862 students from 2012 to 2017 were participated and won prizes.
English Literary Association :
The Department conducts various activities for the students through English Literary Association with the motto to develop the potentiality of language of the students. The Association conducts various competitions like Oratorical, Essay writing, Poem Recitation, Skit, Free zone, Collage, Mime, Debate, , Facial Painting, AD Wizardry, Literary Parade, etc. to bring out the hidden talents of the students and to give a platform for them to exhibit their skills.
So for 65 students from 2012 to 2017 were participated and got prizes in various competitions.
Disaster Management Club
English Department heads the Disaster Management Club for imparting the knowledge for dealing with all humanitarian aspects at the time of emergency for speedy recovery and to lessen the impact of Disaster. Every year nearly 40 students participate as members of the club.
The resource person from various departments such as doctors, fire service also invited to our club in order to give institution among the students.
Department Newsletter and Guest Lecture Program
A Frolicsome Newsletter Launch and a rejuvenating Guest Lecture Program was organized on 28. 2. 19 at 10.00 am in the conference hall by the Department of English.
Although we have a long way to go, the first step is always the hardest. Our original official newsletter, in regular publication with latest updates on progress in literature and shout outs from students.We are inclined to continue with latest breakthroughs in pursuit to nurture New Generation.
Guest Lecture by Dr. L. M. Swarnalatha M. A., M.Phil., B. Ed.,Ph.D, Assistant Professor and Head, Department of English, Vellalar College for Women, Thindal, Erode on “Something for Nothing”